Abandoned Dock, Along the Lower Alsea, Oregon
A smattering of private pleasure docks, some in better shape than others, are found along Alsea Bay these days, but back in the late 19th century the shores were dotted with salmon canneries built out over the river. The first was built along the bay in 1880, the first sign of an economy that could support the fledgling community that eventually became Waldport. Lumber mills soon followed to meet the ballooning demand for cannery piers and docks and the homes and commercial buildings that came after. Waldport’s name combines the German words for forest and seaport. It was founded in 1879 by David Ruble, who had come to Oregon with the 1853 wagon train and had settled in the Alsea Valley before moving down river to the bay.