Old Oak on Little Butte Creek
A band of Takelma under "Chief Jake" had long made their home along this robust creek, which empties into the Rogue River a few hundred feet west of this ancient oak. In 1853, they moved to the other side of Rogue onto the new reservation created by the Table Rock Treaty negotiated by Gen. Joseph Lane. But the reservation proved no safe haven. Twice in 1855, the Takelma village was attacked by "volunteers," first in October in what became known as the Lupton Massacre and again in December on Christmas Eve. In all, the two ambush-style attacks killed more than 40 natives. Little Butte Creek was so named by early settlers because its headwaters rise on the flanks of Mt. McLoughlin, which in those days was known as Snowy Butte.