Galice Creek, near Skull Bar
Galice Creek empties into the Rogue River a few hundred feet below this spot, where a mining camp known as Skull Bar sprang up during the 1850s gold rush. It was the scene of at least two confrontations during the 1850-56 Indian troubles. In 1852, seven or eight miners were believed killed by the Grave Creek band of Rogue River Indians when some natives showed up at Vannoy's Ferry with a large quantity of gold dust, and were summarily hung for their supposed murders. In 1855 the camp came under siege for several hours in what became known as the Battle at Skull Bar. About one third of the 40 or so miners, packers and laborers were killed before the band moved on down the river. This was at the tail end of the retaliatory raids carried out by the Rogues after the Lupton Massacre of Oct. 8, 1855, and the start of the final stage of fighting between the Indians and the local militias and the U.S. Army.