Indian Mary Park
This scenic park along the Rogue River between Hellgate and Galice Creek is named for the daughter of Umpqua Joe, a local Indian who operated a ferry at this site in the 1850s. A friend to miners and settlers, Umpqua Joe warned the mining camp at Skull Bar on Galice Creek that the Rogues, inflamed by the Lupton Massacre, were on the rampage and headed their way in October of 1855. In recognition, the federal government in 1894 granted what has been called the smallest Indian reservation ever created here as a residence for Mary (later Mary Peters) and her family. It was later donated to the county and developed into a 61-acre park.